Saturday, December 31, 2011

Things that go thump in the night...and the dishwasher.

I awoke at around 4 in the morning to a bun thumping their hind feet. They were very loud thumps followed by some scampering on the linoleum floor into the rabbit bedroom. My husband got up to take a look.

Apparently Wiggles had been on her nightly hunts in the kitchen looking for fallen scraps of carrot tops, cheerios, pretty much anything I may have missed mopping up the day before, when the dishwasher, set on its 4 hour delay went off startling her. Poor little bunny got scared and ran into her room knocking over the food dish spreading rabbit kibble all across the bedroom floor.

I am not sure if she does this nightly, looking for food in the kitchen rather than make bun sized messes. All I know for certain, is that if we don't wake precisely before 7am every morning, Wiggles will very loudly and with little finesse, open our bedroom door by chewing it (naturally) gallop her way into our room (you can hear her nails on the floor, an identifying sound unique only to her) and proceed to chew on one of the baskets in our room...loudly, very loudly. This naturally gets my husband up, because I tend to be zombie like in the morning, and he goes in the kitchen to make some coffee or espresso (my elixir of life). Well, Wiggles thus follows him galloping along, weaving in between his feet making her presence known. She then waits by the green carpet by the sink for some food. Now if you don't feed her right away, she will just keep following you, charging full speed towards your feet as you make your way from one side of the kitchen to the other. Still not in full comprehension of how linoleum, velocity and fluffy little feet make for a slippery surface,  she will often collide with your ankle leaving a wet little unintended rabbit kiss. If that doesn't work, will then nose bump you or constantly be underfoot until you give in and offer her breakfast.

But its not a simple meal mind you. Its not just a couple of cheerios, a shreddies square, or her oatmeal cereal. She wants more, always more. Lettuce, carrot tops, whatever is available. And if she does not feel like lettuce that morning, she will look at it disapprovingly, almost as if saying "Really, this is it? But I don't want lettuce, I want more cheerios" but begrudgingly accept once she realizes you don't have anything else to offer.

I often wonder what other shenanigans they get up to. Connor for instance is the quiet type. I KNOW he gets into funny bunny things at night. I once found him sitting on the highest part of the couch in the middle of the night, as soon as he saw me he scampered away as if I had discovered his secret desire to watch TV with us. Wayne does something similar, however his layer is downstairs, he has full reign over the basement. I would love to set up a bun cam to record all this. I might undercover the mysterious fluffy underbelly of the house rabbit world.

No comments:

Post a Comment