Here is what I have learned over the years as to what works best for me to increase my milk supply.
1. Eating healthy fats
2. Drinking lots of water
3. Nursing (tells your body your baby needs more milk)
4. Oats and Brewers yeast.
I have relied on this recipe, for these 4 years.....but have also been tweaking it.
As a nursing mum, Ive come to realize my body needs more vitamins, minerals and better food in general especially if its also making food for a growing baby and toddler. So Ive played around a bit and added a few key ingredients that I found gave the lactation cookies a much needed nutritional boost.
Hemp Seeds: They are high in omega 3 and 6 fats. great fiber content and amino acids. They also have lots of magnesium (great for calcium absorption) and 10 grams of protein per 3 tablespoons!
Molasses: adds extra iron
Nuts and Seeds: provides more of those healthy fats as well as proteins.
So, here is the revised recipe. Hope you enjoy it as much as I (we) do.
1. Preheat the oven to 350
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups of oats
- 1/2 cup of hempseed
- 4 tablespoons of brewers yeast (you can add more to help boost your supply)
- Nuts and seeds of your choice (you can mix them in or place them on top)
2. Mix together dry ingredients
3. Mix together wet ingredients and combine
(You can add more water if you find it hard to work with)
4. Form into balls (about 2-3 tablespoons worth)
(You can also add an almond in the centre)
5. Bake for around 10-15 minutes (depending on the thickness of your cookies).
Allow to cool and if you want them to last, tell family members that these lactation cookies work on everyone....otherwise you will be making these more often.
Note: yes, I purposefully made these cookies look like boobies!